Monday 4 July 2011

'Afterwards' thriller. Puppy in the wild

We have stunning wild flowers beside the fields near the house, with masses of bees, butterflies and other insects. Photos don't really do justice to the picture they make.
Otto and flax
Holly in July?

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton
An excellent original thriller. This one is narrated by Grace, or rather by her spirit. She and her teenage daughter Jenny have been seriously injured in a fire at school and both lie unconscious in hospital. Question is, who started the fire and are they still trying to harm Jenny? Grace is addressing her husband (who, of course, can’t hear her) and she’s wandering around with Jenny’s equally invisible spirit, while they and the police try to work out what happened.  So it’s an unusual structure but one fairly quickly gets used to it. I admit I guessed who dunnit about half way through but that didn’t matter. While the thriller element was gripping, I enjoyed the analysis of family life and what Grace learns about herself and her feeling for others. Not a comfortable one to read. It stayed at the back of my mind all day, and I was relieved to finish it. (Don't let the disembodied narrator put you off - I'm the down to earth type but I found it credible enough for the purpose.)

2 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What beautiful countryside you have around your home and Otto obviously enjoys it very much too.

This book sounds interesting, I think I'll have to add it to my tbr piles.

Karen said...

I recently finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it - more than her first actually. I couldn't put it down. Beautifully written.

Lovely photos too :o)