Thursday 24 April 2008

New-mown lawn in April


I promised I'd put the newly mown lawn on my blog so here it is. It'll probably look more exciting in a couple of weeks when the apple trees are in bloom. Global warming hasn't yet hit Hampshire this year but the birds - blue tits, all kinds of finches, robins and the inevitable pigeons - are singing or cooing away so spring must be here soon.

I was invited to the London Bookcrossing Convention last weekend, where several Transita writers spoke. Many other author friends are not that keen on Bookcrossing or free book-swap in general, because we lose out on our meagre royalties, but the Bookcrossers seriously love reading and they do buy as well as exchange. They also take the trouble to review books on line which is encouraging.

7 comments:

Ms Mac said...

What a beautiful garden! So spacious and green..... I'm looking at my 8m² balcony and am green with envy.

Susie Vereker said...

Thanks, Ms Mac. Yes, we're lucky to have a good garden despite my not-so-green fingers. Mind you, pix always exaggerate perspective so the back lawn looks longer than it really is. I've only recently started taking an interest in photography so don't always get it right. (I dragged the pot of tulips up there to get an 'artistic' effect!)

galant said...

This clearly demonstrates the benefit of contrasting colours - the scarlet of the tulips make the grass look all the more green and lush. And yes, as Ms Mac says, you have a lovely spacious, beautiful garden.

Susie Vereker said...

Thanks, Galant/Margaret P - not sure which Margaret you are.
Glad you liked the tulips. Half of the ones I planted in pots were eaten by mice this winter but this lot made it through.

galant said...

Hi, I'm Galant aka Margaret Powling. I took the name Galant when I first registered with Google, don't know why I didn't simply use my own name! But then I thought we had to remain anonymous. Anyway, I seem to have cracked leaving comments! Yes, mice are a problem with pots of tulips. We also have squirrels (or Mr and Mrs Nutter and their family as they're fondly referred to here!) who bury walnuts from our walnut tree, even discarding the tulip bulbs which they dislodge!

Susie Vereker said...

Hi Margaret. Yes, I don't know why the blogging world adopted pseudonyms originally - I guess that people felt more free to speak out. It's a whole new and interesting phenomenon - people making anonymous comments on other people's lives. I could spend all day reading blogs!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful view of your garden! I so love green and the bowl of tulip on the right just makes the photo.