Thursday 12 September 2013

Good books




So many books read, no time to write about them properly. 

Most gripping book by far was the much praised Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty.  A respectable scientist in her early fifties begins a risky affair with a stranger and finds herself in dock.  The court scenes have been brilliantly researched.  Do read it.  I wouldn’t fancy al fresco unions in St. James’s (of all places) though – mind boggles.   Here is a review.

Am absorbed in EJ Howard’s Cazalet Chronicles at the moment.  A rather more peaceful read, despite the wartime background.

 Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach was an interesting modern high-tech thriller, though the main protagonist became somewhat wearing.

 The Silent Wife by ASA Harrison, another thriller.  Interesting enough but not a must-read.  Moral of the story, don't forget to marry your other half if you're not self-supporting.

And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini was as imaginative and instructive as one might expect.  Well worth reading.

 Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver grew on me. The main protagonist is a young poor white American and there are a few long early chapters about shopping in bargain basements that could have been shortened.   Finally though the heroine won me over and the way she was drawn into working for a scientific survey of over-wintering butterflies was convincing.  It’s a worthy green eco book we should all read, I dare say.

Almost English by Charlotte Mendelson is an amusing easy read.  Absolutely loved the Hungarian aunts who rather stole the show.  Laura I did find tiresome - Joanna Trollope would definitely have told her to stiffen her upper lip.  Not quite sure why it was long-listed for the Booker.  Here is a review.

1 comment:

galant said...

Hi, Susie,
I adore the Cazalets and, just in case word hasn't reached you, there is a new one out this coming November, the 5th and final book of the series. It is called All Change - I've ordered mine already!

I will look up Apple Tree Yard, sounds my kind of thing. I'm currently reading the latest Rachel Hore novel, The Silent Tide, which I'm absolutely loving.

Margaret P