Friday 3 December 2010

World Book Night 5 Mar 2011

Over the weekend of 5 Mar 2011 one million books will be given away by an army of passionate readers to members of the public across the UK and Ireland – and you could be one of them!  (let's hope it has stopped snowing by then.) Go to the website to find out more. Here's the World Book Night website and  here's a Guardian link.
The following books have been chosen.  I've read about a third or more of them, better get on to the others.  Sounds as if it wd be a good deal for book group organisers.  Probably the Blind Assassin is my favourite, I also love Kate Atkinson, oh and Miss JB. Half of the Yellow Sun, v. interesting.  I must have read All Quiet on the Western Front at some point in my life.  Definitely loved The Spy who Came in from the Cold at the time. What's your favourite?

Kate Atkinson - Case Histories
Margaret Atwood - The Blind Assassin
Alan Bennett - A Life Like Other People's
John le Carré - The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
Lee Child - Killing Floor
Carol Ann Duffy - The World's Wife
Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Seamus Heaney - Selected Poems
Marian Keyes - Rachel's Holiday
Mohsin Hamid - The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Ben Macintyre - Agent Zigzag
Gabriel García Márquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
Yann Martel - Life of Pi
Alexander Masters - Stuart: A Life Backwards
Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance
David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas
Toni Morrison - Beloved
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Half of a Yellow Sun
David Nicholls - One Day
Philip Pullman - Northern Lights
Erich Maria Remarque - All Quiet on the Western Front
CJ Sansom - Dissolution
Nigel Slater - Toast
Muriel Spark - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Sarah Waters - Fingersmith

2 comments:

Faye said...

What a wonderful idea. If I love a book, I want to share it. Always tell the recipients that I envy them getting to read the book for the first time. I'm making a year-end list of books I've read in 2010.Comparing it to a few of the "best of 2010" lists, I see that I haven't read any of them! I have loved the many that I did read. Have "A Week in December" by Sebastion Faulks to read by the end of the month--your recommendation, Susie.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I couldn't get into The Blind Assassin, although I'm not sure why. My aunt said it was one of her favourite books and felt sure I'd love it.

I do have All Quiet on the Western Front in my tbr pile. I did love The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie when I read it years ago.