Tuesday 24 February 2009

Alps and Kate Atkinson

When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson gripped me from start to finish. There are two heroines to care about: the tough young orphan Reggie and her boss the charming ladylike Doctor Jo Hunter. Very hard to talk about this book without giving away the plot – and there is a lot of plot - but it is a crime novel enhanced by Kate Atkinson’s quirky humour and original writing. Her jaded ex-detective Jackson Brodie does feature, along with the angry chippy DCI Louise – it seems they are still in love though married to other people.
I found the book hard to put down. Even the minor characters are brilliantly drawn like the badly named receptionist ‘Joy’ and the sister-in-law who wore an expensive dress that looked as if it had been made from flags of obscure countries cut up and sewn together by a blind pigeon.
As I said, there is a lot of plot, some of it pretty unlikely, but the book is written with such energy and flair that one is swept along with the flow. Do read it.
Here is a Times interview with KA.
(Book is set mainly in Edinburgh or Yorkshire but am posting irrelevant photo of Mt. Vallon, Mottaret, because I miss skiing.)

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Yes, I liked this one a lot too, despite the unlikely goings on.

callmemadam said...

I loved this and the two earlier ones in the series. They were in my top books for last year. Reggie is a very sympathetic charcter, isn't she?

Anonymous said...

Enforced time with my feet up has meant that I've been able to read more books lately. maybe I'll 'review' them on my blog before I forget what happended. (Even when I was younger I'd get things mixed up and I find it very difficult to remember titles and authors nowadays.)
Re your previous post, it's sometime since I read a JT. I really enjoyed her earlier novels but haven't read anything recent.

Susie Vereker said...

Yes, I loved Reggie. Do read this one, Sandy.