Wednesday 4 June 2008

Ceanothus, books and Bangkok

Busy on the domestic and family front at the moment so not much time to blog. Above is today's garden pic. Thanks for your advice, Juliet. May replant sweet cecily somewhere safer. Ground-cover plants are sometimes inclined to cover rather too much ground.
Delighted that blogger Sablonneuse liked Pond Lane and Paris and also that the UN Women's Guild in Geneva have selected An Old-Fashioned Arrangement as a book club read.
Sad to hear that the house we lived in in Bangkok has been pulled down to make way for a shopping centre. I guess it was a very valuable site and so HMG was tempted to sell. I wonder what will happen to the rest of that wonderful green oasis that is the Embassy compound. More on this when I have time.

4 comments:

Juliet said...

I love ceanothus. When I was little I christened it the liquorice allsort tree, because I thought the flowers looked just like those blue bobbly ones with jelly inside! I'm afraid this is what I still call it, which is why I get funny looks from fellow visitors on Open Garden days . . .

monix said...

What a lovely name for the ceanothus, it describes the colour and texture perfectly. Mine isn't in flower yet. I love to see what is happening in gardens around the country via the blogs.

Anonymous said...

I planted a ceanothus two years ago and it has only just produced flowers. Suppose it's the same problem as the wisteria - I didn't feed it.

Susie Vereker said...

I'm not a great garden expert, Sandy, but I believe sometimes shrubs do take a while to flower. My ceanothus is over ten years old and growing in quite poor soil, but it is in a sheltered position. I don't often remember to feed plants though sometimes I chuck a top-dressing of compost about in the winter.